A traditional 1” flat air filter is composed of a mat of fiberglass fibers laid in a random arrangement. This stops large particles and causes smaller particles to get stuck to the fibers. These filters usually cost about $10-$20 and need to be replaced every 1-4 months. Extended media filters use several layers of filters which removes a larger percentage of pollutants from the air. The layers offer added protection. And although the filters cost slightly more than traditional filters, you only need to replace them 1-2 times per year making them more cost effective.
Our Extended Media Filter System also features:
- Provides whole-home filtration for optimal home comfort and air quality, adding zero additional energy costs
- MERV 11** filter
- Removes more than 85% of particles such as dust, dirt, and mold spores down to 3 microns***
- Compatible with any HVAC system—with no additional power source required
- No ozone emissions
- 5-Year Limited Warranty on its covered components
* MERV = Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value. Describes the filter’s ability to capture particles and ranges from 1 to 16. Typical fiberglass filter = MERV 1. The higher the MERV rating, the better the filtration.
** One micron = 1/25,000 of an inch in diameter.
*** Based on laboratory and field studies.
A BETTER FILTER FOR BREATHING EASIER
Indoor air quality is a real concern in today’s environment. Your indoor air can be several times more polluted than outdoor air. Since most Americans spend up to 90% of the day indoors, this presents a very real health hazard. The best way to deal with indoor air pollution is to put measures into place to clean your air as much as possible. Air filters are a common method for doing this, but you can go one step better with extended media filters.